Call a Radon Removal Specialist Immediately If You Discover Radon in Your Home.

Needless to say, there is a lot to think about when it comes to buying a home. There are so many factors that come into play, in terms of figuring out where you want to live. Safety, and health are the most important things, though, which is why it is best to undergo various home safety inspections, before making any decisions. A lot of the most insidious things you need to worry about are not even things that you can see, such as carbon monoxide and radon. Even black mold is hard to detect, since it is often hidden. That is why it is best to invest in these inspections. Radon is especially important to identify and remove. Call a radon removal specialist, such as SWAT Environmental, immediately, if you discover radon in your home.

The risk radon poses is a little different than the one posed by carbon monoxide. There are a few reasons for this. First of all, carbon monoxide is usually a manmade pollutant. Radon, on the other hand, if just a naturally occurring substance found in soil. The other big difference is the fact that carbon monoxide an cause asphyxiation very quickly, while radon does no such thing. Instead, longterm exposure to radon can cause lung cancer. It is actually the leading cause of lung cancer for those who do not smoke. So, while it cannot cause death right away, in the way carbon monoxide can, it is still very deadly. Furthermore, you would have no way of knowing it was present in your home unless you get an inspection. This is why it is so important to invest in home inspections, even if you have been living there for some time. The sooner you discover it, the better. Then you can begin the radon abatement process, to avoid exposing yourself to this highly carcinogenic gas.

To understand why radon is so dangerous, you should learn a bit about what it actually is. Radon is one of the noble gases, and it is always odorless and colorless. It is a naturally radioactive gas, which is why it is so carcinogenic. It generally occurs where there has been radioactive decay in the soil. It is a byproduct of this process, and it is something that will continue to exist, if it is present in the soil. The reason it affects people is the fact that it seeps into their homes. If a building is situated on top of radon, it will naturally rise to the surface, since that is what gases that are lighter than air do. Because it rises from the ground up, the highest concentrations of this gas are usually found in the basement. That being said, the basement is not the only place it can exist, and if it is present there, it will inevitably rise upwards. There is nothing else to be done, once it is discovered than to invest in radon mitigation. This and this alone will allow your home to become safe again.